Comfy clothes, upbeat music and a quick cooking session in the kitchen - these are my ingredients for a relaxing Saturday brunch at home. Bonus points if we can add some flavours from our travels into the food we prepare.
These crepes with zesty lemons bring to mind the time we spent wandering around the Mediterranean and especially France. We’d go back there in a heartbeat!
Don’t feel intimidated by crepes - they are really simple to make and you won’t need any special equipment.
Aga's Super Easy Crepes
Ingredients (for approx 8 Crepes):
- 100g (⅔ cup) plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 300ml milk
- 2tbs of oil - you can use coconut, sunflower, peanut or just plain butter, anything goes
- pinch of salt
- plus extra oil or butter for frying
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl using a whisk, electric mixer or a fork until smooth. The batter should be pretty liquid and silky.
- Leave the batter in a fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Spread with a thin layer of oil or butter.
- When the pan is hot, ladle about ⅓ cup of batter into the pan and tilt quickly to move the mixture around for a thin layer. Flip the pancake after about 1 minute when it starts to become golden. Allow another 30 seconds - 1 minute on the other side.
- Stack the fried crepes on top of each other, that will help them soften.
- Spread with home-made lemon jam or sprinkle with a mixture of caster sugar & lemon zest. Roll them up or fold into triangles and enjoy while dreaming about travels.
Simple home-made lemon jam recipe
- 4 large lemons - zest of 3 lemons, 1 thinly sliced
- 4tbs lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Place lemon zest and the slices in a pot. Add 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Strain the water off the lemons and zest. Put the lemons and zest back in the pot and cover with another cup of water. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes and strain once again.
- Place the lemons back in the pot. Add the lemon juice, 2 cups of water and sugar. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- When the mixture thickens significantly, place it in a jar and refrigerate. The jam will thicken more once it cools.
- Total Prep Time: Approx 15 Minutes
- Total Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Aga is a Polish-born Melburnian. Photographer, avid traveller, coffee addict and cat lover. Recently completed 15 months-long slow travel tour with her husband around Asia and Europe and is currently cooking up a storm to bring the flavours of the places they visited to their home.